|Snailed by Pornography|
Can you think of an addiction, which is more dangerous than drugs, alcohol or smoking? Yes! There is, it is the addiction of pornography. Remember the moment when all alone surfing the sites, clicking on the button, which says ABOVE 18?
According to a study, 15 Million children now use the internet regularly and the internet pornography is trapping many. In USA, adult entertainment on the internet is expected to generate revenues of $51.5 million, the third largest sector of sales, after computer products and tourism. The "Playboy" Website averages 4 million hits per day. In USA, more number of hardcore-pornography outlets are there than McDonald's restaurants. This industry grosses $12 billion per annum. Today there are more than 72,000 pornographic sites and 85% of the children get trapped in pornography between their 9th to 14th birthdays and spend six hours weekly surfing the pornographic sites.
Pornography is easily accessible with the help of various fashion as well as women or men magazines Cosmos, Playboy, e.t.c. Videos are the most common and oldest medium for accessing porn. The latest is internet or magazines as these are easily available. In India, the day to day Hindi remix music videos are an open door invitation to pornography, that too free of charge. But still Cyber sex is the highest used medium for pornography.
God created sex as a marvellous display of His image (And the man said, this is now bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh... (Gen. 2:23). He made it perfect and for procreation and pleasure. It is an expansion of love between the husband and wife. The Prince of the world -Satan has distorted and corrupted this in many forms, pornography is one of them. By indulging in pornography-sex objects, we are rebuking the glorious image of our Father, which is within us, in our sexuality.
Some people have the illusion that pornography is not a sin. It is not as serious as adultery. But God is clear through Ephesians 5:3 "But among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God's holy people." Infact its self abuse and idolatry (Idolatry is not only concerned with worshipping idols. Seeing pornography, getting lured and obsessed about it is also idolatry) and a starting point for many evils like sexual crimes (child molestation) or habits like masturbation.
In Rev. 9:21, there is also a warning about the punishment which needs to be considered as the end of something wrong cannot be good. One of the reasons why people get snarled by pornography is that sex seems to be gratifying, due to which there is a tendency to want to taste it again. Remember, self-gratification is the road with a dead-end sign board. God wants us to honor Him with our bodies. Are we honouring Him by LUSTING? Once Princess Diana said in her BBC interview about Prince Charles.... There were three of us in this marriage so it was a bit crowded". Similarly in any other relationship no matter where it is, the relationship between husband and wife, mother and son, sister and brother, an unwanted practice or element ruins the relationship. Similarly, when pornography comes between us and Our Father in heaven, it becomes crowded, and the communication between the two-i.e., child and Father is blocked.
As we are walking on the path of the fallen angel our life turns into the life of a loser, loser in marriage, career, self-respect, and God. Over just few silly pictures can we afford to loose Him? (Eph 5:5) Pornography is a form of living which draws a person into a darkness which may reflect in our lives in several forms like: irritability, depression, guilt, lies, fear, and inability to give / receive love e.t.c... Medical research proves that too much exposure to pornography results in decreased satisfaction with one's sexual partner. Not only this, it also decreases the measure of faithfulness and increased measure of sex without attachment.
How to say "no" to porn:
The challenge is not to give into this evil and think there is NO way out but to battle against it and have victory over it. The question is 'How'?
1) Rebel: Don't try to rebel or fight against God. If a snowball is thrown in the opposite direction, it will come back. Similarly, whatever impure practices are being pursued, they will rebound back till we come to Him. He does not hate His children but He hates the sin. Inspite of all these humiliating actions God loves us and stands with His arms extending towards us to receive us back.
2) Face the fact: Believe that Jesus is the bondage breaker. Submit your humiliation of flesh and guilt to God rather than act as a holy and pure being before Him. Although with the incapability and the weakness felt.
3) Stay away: Destroy all videos, magazines, e.t.c. and keep away from the area of temptations. Surf the web when somebody is around. Just remember that there is a strong need to run from everything that stimulates you to it. Consider yourself dead to sins for sin may not have rule over you: because you are not under law, but under grace (Romans 6:13). Believe in the union and identification with Christ that force to no longer want to pursue the old plans, desires etc.
4) Talk to your friend: Never stay in guilt, talk to your prayer partner or a believer friend about it. Go to every altar call and pray hard. Keep watch with prayer, so that you may not be put to the test: the spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is feeble (Mat. 26:41).
5) Keep kicking hard: Young boys and girls must learn to value of being tough and winning through Christ: Remember Jesus never gives up. When He was hanged on the Cross, He went through it seeing the Victory that was ahead.
6) Test of Faith: Remember that temptations, which you face, are there to test your faith. So that the true metal of your faith, being of much greater value than gold which, though it comes to an end, is tested by fire, may come to light in praise and glory and honour, at the revelation of Jesus Christ( 1 Peter 1:7 ) After going through fire, all impurity dissolves and perfect gold comes out.
7) Remember every cloud has a silver lining: There is a way out of this pit by holding the rope of Jesus only. When doubt presses you a bit, rest of you must do but don't you quit. And you are not alone because He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them (Hebrews 7:25).
AIM Magazine, July 04, Vol. 35