Home | NEWS | Persecution News | Persecution Watch, August 21, 2015
Persecution Watch, August 21, 2015 PDF Print E-mail
Article Index
Persecution Watch, August 21, 2015
Pastor Chandrama Masih and his family attacked in Varanasi
Christians forced to worship Hindu gods in Rajasthan, India
Pastors attacked in Nihal Vihar, New Delhi
Church attacked in West Bengal
Christian school attacked by RSS cadres in Ashoknagar, Madhya Pradesh

6 Incidents of Persecution and violence against Christians reported from Uttar Pradesh, Orissa, Delhi, Madhya Pradesh, West Bengal and Rajasthan...

Christian couple killed by security forces in Kandhamal, Orissa

A Christian couple was killed allegedly by the CRPF (Central Reserve Police Force) security forces in Kandhamal on July 26, 2015. The couple, Dubeshwar (Duba) Nayak (45 years) and his wife Budi (Bhubudi) Nayak had gone uphill with three more people to the top of Dudimaha Hills in order to make phone calls as they were unable to get mobile network in their nearby village. They were calling their son Rahul who studies in Kerala. The other people were calling their friends and family as well.

After the other three people had finished calling they made their way downhill while the Nayak couple stayed back as they had not finished their call yet. On the way back the three met security forces who stopped them at gun point and asked them the purpose of their moving inside the forest area. The three clearly told them what they had come to do. They also mentioned about the Nayak couple still on top of the hill and told the security forces that they will be coming back later. The security personnel asked them to go back to their village.

About an hour later the villagers heard gunshots being fired and since the Nayaks had not returned still, they expected the worst. Their worry about the well being of the Nayaks grew as the night passed. Out of fear the villagers did not climb the hill to look for them. The Nayaks were nowhere to be seen.

Early next morning the villagers rushed to the spot but the Nayaks were nowhere to be seen. Bloodstains were visible on the ground and the slippers that Budi Nayak was wearing were found on the spot. The villagers reported the matter to the police who ignored their requests at first and even refused to register an FIR (First Information Report). It was only after the villagers agitated and protested in front of the police station and later blocked the road going to Kotgarh that the dead bodies of Nayaks were handed over on July 28, 2015. The bodies looked like they had already been buried and had been dug out in order to hand over to the villagers.

The State Human Rights Commission, responding to a petition made by Rahul, the couple's son, has asked the state government to submit the probe reports of additional DG Human Rights Protection Cell and RDC (southern range) in four weeks.